Apple Ale v2
- Whitelabs Kolsch
- 1 oz Cascade (0.75 boil, 0.25 flavour)
- 1 oz Willamette (0.25 flavour, 0.75 aroma)
- 11 lbs Apples (prepared as before)
- 10 lbs Pale malt
- 0.5 lbs Dextrin malt
- 0.25 lbs 20L Crystal
- Additives: Gypsum, Whirlfloc, Pectin enzyme
Batch size: 5 gallon
- Same ingredients as last recipe. All apples from tree of unknown variety.
- Protein Rest: Add 43 cups of 55F water. Stabilized at 52C. Rest for 30 min. Unknown ending temp.
- Sacrification Rest: Add 21.5 cups of boiling water. Stabilized at 150F. Over 11 min raised it to 158F. Over 40 min it dropped to 150F. Iodine test indicated complete conversion at that time. Took 10min to reach mash out temp of 170F.
- Sparging: Total time: unknown. Sparged until gravity reached 1.008 at 170F.
- Resulting wort. 18.75 L, grav 1.054 at 110F.
- Boiled wort for 1hr. .75 Cascade and .25 Willamette for boiling. At 40 min added 1tbs hydrated flaked irish moss. At end added .75 Willamette and .25 Cascade.
- Cooled to 80F over 1 hr. Pitched at that temp.
- Fermented in plastic bucket. Room between 66F and 70F.
- Transferred to secondary after 10 days. Kegged on day 21.
- Final gravity: 1.013
© 2004-2011 Biergötter Homebrew Club. Disclaimer.
Friday, 28-Sep-2007 15:09:13 MST