Rye Pale Ale v2
- 9.5 lbs Pale Malt
- 2.5 lbs Rye Malt
- 1.5 lbs Crystal Malt 10L
- 2 oz WGV 6.5%
- 1 oz Northdown 7.9%
- 1 Whirlfloc tablet
- Whitelabs Dry English Ale Yeast
- Attempted to adjust strike temp for protein rest because pot and grain were outside and cold.
- Overshot protein rest and ended up at 140F
- Held for 20 min because I needed to get second stage water ready.
- Mash stabalized at 148F.
- Brought up to 160F over 30 min.
- Dropped to 156F after 1 hr.
- Iodine test said conversion complete.
- Forgot to mash out to 170F.
- Sparging was a nightmare. Had 2 stuck runoffs. Took nearly 2 hours. Sparged until I had to stop due to volume. Ended at SG 1.010 at 116F.
- Resulting wort 27 L at SG 1.051 (20C), 75% efficiency.
- Brought to boil over 50 min.
- Hop addition:
- 60 min 0.5 oz WGV;
- 50 min 0.5 oz WGV;
- 40 min 0.5 oz Northdown;
- 30 min 0.5 oz WGV;
- 20 min 0.5 oz Northdown;
- 10 min 0.5 oz WGV.
- Whirlfoc tablet at 20 min.
- End of boil, 23L at SG 1.060 (20C).
- 5 min to set up wort chiller. Chilled to 72F over 15 min.
- Oxygenated and added yeast straight from the vial.
- After 24hr, fermenting nicely.
© 2004-2011 Biergötter Homebrew Club. Disclaimer.
Thursday, 27-Sep-2007 17:43:51 MST